Covid 19 Dashboard - Article 1 - Starting the process - DATA (The growing CSV file)
- · Working with growing CSV files
- · Using index and merge when transforming data
- · Using time functions to calculate the daily change
- · Reporting based on the population
- · Working with maps, setting data types correctly
- · Possibly more to come depending on how long this all goes….
I am sure many of you have brought in CSV data before, so I won’t go through all the steps. After the data was available in Power Query, I was able to transform the data by using the first row as headers, but I quickly noticed instead of having a separate row for each day, the file had a separate column for each day. For example, the data had over 80 columns when I made my connection. This did not concern me, because I am familiar with “Unpivot Columns”. This will allow me to move use date column to a row. If you are not familiar with this feature, Microsoft has some great support here.